Sunday, April 30, 2006

Placenta: Tree of life






From Tom cruise's recent placenta plans, the grossy placenta has been 'pushed out' to main stream attention once again. Recipes for placenta are endless from placenta pizza to polenta. To many its like eating booger pie. Is it really worth it?

Placenta: Chinese Herbal Medicine

Zi He Che (Placenta Hominis) is a Chinese herbal medicine. Considered an excellent tonic in strengthening Yang, reinforcing essence and Qi and nourishing blood. A treasure for tonifying essence in conditions like infertility and aging.

The placenta in western medicne is also greatly valued particularly in stem cell research. They use the cord blood stem cells which are derived from the blood of the placenta and umbilical cord after birth. They believe that stem cell research has the potential to change the face of human disease and alleviate suffering. Even to treat cancer, spinal cord injuries, and muscle damage, amongst a number of other diseases, impairments and conditions.

PLACENTA: One big puzzle

Is it right to eat placenta?

Who knows? I doubt its particularily tasty, but honestly, I haven't tried. I did once brave an attempt at preparing my sister's gorrilla sized placenta for her though.

I hacked at it with my dull kitchen knife and made big clumpy strips planning to then powder and encapuslate it.

Was I crazy? No. Almost driven mad by the blood and gore yet I found beauty in the Placenta. The knotty umbilical cord twisted like a tree of tissues and blood vessels. The tree of life was awesome yet the act was awful. How can anyone not appreciate what can be so miraculous to medicine and science.

People think you are either a witch or a wilderbeast if you consider eating the placenta. Why is it so taboo if some consider it the holiest meat to eat? It has given life and not taken one...



But some still shake their heads.


I thought I could save some money on a very expensive chinese medicinal herb for my sis by processing placenta myself, but its an enterprise i didn't know much about.

To tell you the truth, it was great in theory but I abandoned the strips once they made a god awful smell to every corner of my house. Like cat food rotting in a summer afternoon...whew.


Next, time I'll be more prepared a super sharp knife in hand and a dehydrator in the garage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home